Saturday, June 27, 2009

Groupthink

From Chapter 8 entitled Teams and Networks in the sub section Decision-Making Processes on page 205 the concept of groupthink is introduced. Groupthink “is a well-known problem associated with team decision making initially identified by psychologist Irving Janis, occurs when team members go along with, rather than evaluate, the group’s proposals or ideas.” Groupthink can be detrimental to a team because members do not express their ideas or concerns instead they go along with what the group decides no matter how bad the final decision is. I have noticed in many groups at school people do not like to be the first to speak so I will start shooting out ideas and everyone just goes along with whatever I say. I could say let’s do a project about unicorns and everyone would say “yeah great Idea,” etc. So I have noticed that I give an idea and go around the group and have others bring up their own ideas and we then vote as a group – I will then voice my concerns and ask for others, and eventually people begin to participate and chime in when necessary. Groupthink can be a bad path to follow so avoid it at all costs!

1 comment:

  1. This is true. I have a strong personality and I tend to be the first one to speak as well. I've learned different tactics in getting people to speak up about their ideas. I've gotten better at reading body language as well. This is important because some people no matter how hard I try they just wont speak up.

    Sometimes I wonder if this may have to do with low self-steem of people. Or they had a bad experience when they first began working in groups.

    But, YES it should be avoided and prevented.

    ReplyDelete